The Town of Wallce was first known as Duplin Roads and was incorporated as such in 1873. Later, the town fathers decided to adopt a new name to honor Stephen D. Wallace, an official of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, which at the time was the life-blood of the community. In 1899 the town was reincorporated as Wallace.
Wallace is Duplin County's largest population and retail trade center, serving an estimated 50,000 people in a surrounding three county area. Population as of 2003 was approximately 3, 384 people.
Wallace is governed by a Mayor and five Councilmen, having a Council-City Manager form of government.
Pre-schools are available for children ages three and four, with various daycare centers available for those younger. Public schools offer modern facilities and excellent administration, faculty, and staff. Wallace Elementary School serves students in kindergarten through fifth grade; Charity Middle School, sixth through eighth grades; and Wallace-Rose Hill High School, grades nine through twelve. The Duplin County Education Foundation raises funds to foster, promote, and encourage educational opportunities and programs within our public schools for which funding is not available. Three private schools are also located within an eighteen mile radius of Wallace.
INDUSTRY & BUSINESS
Wallace has a very active Chamber of Commerce which meets the second Thursday of the month. Wallace 100 Committee, Inc. (charted by the Chamber) promotes the welfare of trade, manufacturing, industrial, and agricultural interest of the town and surrounding areas. South Park, a new industrial park is open near Interstate 40. Low tax rates are an incentive to industry and business considering the Wallace area. Textiles, garment sewing, poultry processing, frozen foods, and swine production are all prospering industries in the area. The downtown business district thrives in Wallace, as does the stretch of business along US Highway 117. The Wallace Airport, Henderson Field, serves to make Wallace more accessible. The airport offers a 4,000 foot paved and lighted runway with a navigational beacon.
CULTURAL & RECREATIONAL
The Thelma Dingus Bryant Library is owned and operated by the Town of Wallace. The Friends of the Thelma Dingus Bryant Library and the Duplin Arts Council offer cultural activities throughout the year. Civic and fraternal organizations include the Wallace Woman's Club and the Wallace Junior Woman's Club (both members of the NC Federation of Woman's Club), Rotary Club, Lions Club, Knights of Columbus, Chamber of Commerce, Wallace 100 Committee, Inc., Garden Clubs, Book Club, American Business Woman's Association, Beta Sigma Phi, Eastern Star, Masons, and Shriners. The Wallace Downtown Revitalization Association and the town opened the Wanoca Outdoor Amphitheater for cultural activities in 2000. Recreational programs, arranged by the town's recreational department, are available all year for every age. Newly expanded in 1999, the Campbell Center is a multi-purpose recreational facility, offering many activities for the community. It is located on the grounds of Clement Park. There are two 18-hole golf courses in the area; Rockfish Country Club west of Wallace on NC Highway 41 and River Landing, a private 27-hole championship golf course located just off Interstate 40 on NC Highway 41.
Wallace Chamber of Commerce * P.O. Box 427 Wallace, NC 28466
Phone (910) 285-4044 / Fax (910) 285-3310